Children can join their local Surf Life Saving Club, as a Nipper, from the age of seven. The Nippers were formed in 1992 and have grown in popularity ever since and feed into the Youth Section of the club at the age of 12 where they learn even more skills.
The Nipper Award scheme provides a fun based education package with the express aim of preventing loss of life or injury in addition to teaching the necessary skills to assist those in difficulty.
- To provide a progressive development programme for all Nippers.
- To encourage youngsters to take part in and enjoy water and beach activities and Life Saving
- To assist children to develop and improve their beach, water and Life Saving knowledge and skills.
- To encourage youngsters to continue an active role in Life Saving.
- To encourage people to become involved and act as teachers and helpers.
The scheme is a progressive system, which encourages the Nippers to work through awards, the sea and coastline can be dangerous and so the children are first taught in a controlled environment such as a swimming pool.
The sport of Life Saving is growing rapidly and Nippers are encouraged to come together and test their Life Saving skills in challenging conditions. Competition increases skill levels, which in turn increases the effectiveness of the Life Saver in carrying out rescues. Surf Life Saving Cornwall encourages Nipper Carnivals where you can have fun, gain success and learn from others in a team environment.